First thing to share is definitely one of the upcoming additions to downtown that I am most excited about: Barrio's new location near East 4th Street. If you aren't familiar with Barrio, they are a Tremont staple (also with a Lakewood location and a food truck) that serves amazing build-your-own tacos, plus their own monthly specialty tacos and delicious beverages out of mason jars. Every time I go to the Tremont location it is PACKED, so hopefully this will spread out some of the business while introducing it to out-of-towners and suburbanites that only come into the city for games and events. I'm not quite sure of the opening date, but it will be this fall and I will be a frequent visitor.
- The place is HUGE and the seating is more communal rather than sectioned off.
- The bar has ample seating, and part of it is a chalkboard so you can play hangman/tic tac toe, write messages or write down what beers you are drinking.
- The bartenders are SUPER knowledgeable and the service is great.
- There are 5 TVs and all are set to black and white.
- The bathrooms. The bathrooms are where it's at. I may be an odd bird for thinking this. Basically, the men's stalls are on the left and the women's are on the right and there is a communal trough for a sink. Being somewhat of a romantic, I sincerely hope that some memorable meet cutes happen at that trough.
- The beer is great, and they also feature "celebrity" drafts from other local breweries as well as some "global" varieties.
These two places are just a handful of new hotspots opening before the year is through. Are there any new places in your neighborhood that are must-visit drinking and eating establishments? Let me know in the comments below!