If you find yourself stuck inside due to inclement weather like us, try to get creative with how you spend time with your dog. Sometimes, it's nice to just snuggle and watch Netflix (for the record, I did NOT find this season of OITNB boring like most everyone else on the Internet). But, if you're a working pet parent and you aren't giving your dog ample outdoor energy, you have to remember that they still need to blow off steam.
- Start teaching new tricks. This is a great opportunity to use clicker and treat training to work on some new skills with your dog. Exercising their minds is just as, if not more, important than physical exercise.
- Break out a new bone. Woody can stay entertained with a new bone for hours, which is great when all I feel like doing is watching a movie or reading. Just make sure the bone was made in the U.S. or Canada.
- Play hide and seek. No, for real.
- Give them a bath. My dog hates baths, but if you are going to be letting them out in the mud you might as well clean them up after. Plus, the stress can tire them out.
- If you feel like spending the extra dollars, invest in one of those fancy puzzle games. They are pretty pricy, but they are great for a dog's mental stamina.
- Forget everything I said and take them out anyway. Woody is not a fan of rain, but some dogs really just LOVE rolling in the mud. Then you will definitely have to do tip #4.